STARTING A MONETARY WEBSITE/BLOG
In this post, you are going to learn how to start a monetary website or blog. And It’s going to be somehow straight to the point. So, let’s go.
Although a website and a blog are not exactly the same, permit me to use the term ‘website’ for both, and ‘blog’ in other cases.
What is a Website?
According to Wikipedia, “A website or web site is a collection of related network web resources, such as web pages, multimedia content, which are typically identified with a common domain name, and published on at least one web server.
Does that sound confusing? You may see a website as a house that exists in one location and has many rooms. As a house is made up of many rooms, so is a website made up of many webpages.
So, a website are pages on the web that usually exist under a common domain (house name) and on at least one web server (location).
Why a monetary website?
One of the reasons why anybody would want to start a website is to generate income. So if you own a good blog with a good number of visitors, you can generate earnings from it.
Some of other reasons why you might want to start a blog is to share your passion, get heard, write about your products, etc.
However, in this article, we are focusing on starting and monetizing your website. So, let’s keep going.
How to start a Monetary website/blog?
Having made the points above, here is what you need to do.
- Decide on a Niche
This is deciding on what exactly you want to write about. According to Louie Luc on INCOMEPRODIGY, “A niche website is an online resource that focuses on a particular interest, topic or theme that is common to a narrow group people in a larger market.”There are several niches you can choose from, if you don’t have one already. From education to fashion, housing, events, search engine optimization (seo), literature, news, etc.Having a particular niche and staying with it would be good for your website. Although, you can also have a multi-niched website like the one you are on.However, having a single niche makes your website known for one thing, and easily promotable.
- Think of a Domain Name
A domain name is the name your website will be called on the web. For example, the site you are on is ‘princiology.com’.In choosing your domain, make sure that it reflects your niche, and can be easily remembered by a visitor.For example, if you are going to start a blog on education, you may choose a domain name like ‘edufriend.com’ .Your domain name may have other extentions like .com.ng, .net, .org, .co.uk, etc.
For more explanation on domain name, see this post on Wikipedia about Domain Name.
- Consider your options (Free Platforms or buy Webhost)
You may start a free blog with certain provider like WordPress.com, Blogger, Wix, etc.However, your blog would be a subdomain under theirs, and may be really be limited in functionality. So, you might have a blog like ‘edufriend.wordpress.com.’Although, you can buy another domain name and attach it to your website with Blogger.Nevertheless, you can also buy your own host. This is like purchasing the land on which you would build your house. You can buy a web host from hosting companies like Bluehost.If you would want to pay in naira, you may use one like Domainking.ng.
So, you may use a free platform with certain limitations as the case may be, or you can go for buying your own host.
- Buy your Host and Domain Name
After you have decided to buy your own host, then you can go right ahead and buy it.Also, you would also need to buy your domain name. The of your host would depend on the kind of website you want, in term of size, bandwidth, and other features.
- Setup Your Website
If you are on a free platform like Blogger, then your website URL might look like ‘http://edufriend.blogspot.com’.You may go right ahead and setup your website by selecting your preferred theme from the list of available ones, or uploading another of your choice.If you have bought your own host, then you would need to installing a software like WordPress. You can download this from WordPress.org.Note that WordPress.com is different to Wordress.org.After installing WordPress on your website, you can go ahead and update the settings as you choose. Thereafter, you can choose a preferable theme from the free ones, or upload another.
- Publish your First Blog Posts
After setting up other things, you can go ahead and write your first blog post, the second, the third, and so on.Good content is important in this day and time. There are many blogs out there.After you might have created a significant amount of posts on your blog, you now need traffic.
- Get Visitors to your Blog by Promotion
To get traffic to your blog, you need to promote it. You can do this by simply telling your friends or family members about your blog and get them visiting.You can also do this by talking about your blog on social media platforms, for example, Facebook. Promote your blog with compelling contents that get people to visit, and visit again.To retain your visitors, you may need to create a mailing list. This would help you to reach your visitors again when you have a new post.Additionally, forums are also a good means to promote your website. A forum may also afford you the opportunity to link back to your blog. This might help to increase your authority and assist your ranks on search result pages – see next paragraph.
You can also get visitors from search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. If your content answers a question that is being asked on search engines, then you might get traffic from there – as high as your page ranks.
To get, for example, google to notice your website fast, and for other reasons, you can submit your website to Google through Google Search Console. Also, there is Bing Webmaster.
However, your blog needs good content and authority from backlinks to ranking well. The higher your domain and page authority, the higher your chances of ranking.
Search engines are a good means to get good and high converting organic traffic.
- Manage you Growing Website (ADDITION)After you might have setup website, you also have to pay a good attention to managing it.If your website is not well managed, it may not generate the income your desire at the end of the day.Manage your website well, keep it good and healthy.
- Monetize your Website
Now that you have a good blog, it’s high time you monetized it, if you really do want to make money from it. You can do this through the following means, and more:
- AdSense: Google AdSense is a good way to monetize your website. To do this, you would need to create an AdSense account first. If/When your website get approved, you might need to add some code to your website.Ads would begin to show at specific places on your website, as you have placed the code, or automatically, as the case may be.You would then get paid based on the number of impression and clicks the ads on your web pages get.If you have a great deal of visitors and pageviews in their hundreds or thousands, you should not a problem.
But if you don’t have a good number of pageviews, you may not get much earning from AdSense, and it may be frustrating.
So, it depends on your pageviews, as well as Click through rate (CTR), and other factors.
However, there are other means to monetize your website.
- Sell Product: With your website, you can sell your own product. Your website may be connected to your actual business and help to get more customers.Also, you can sell Ebooks. If you have written a book, you can promote and sell it with your website. You may also create courses.Affiliate Marketing: Another way to make money with your blog is to get involved in Affiliate Marketing. This is helping others to market their product by placing links on your blog, either on texts or images.The links your promote lead to the other website and you get a commission.There are numerous ways you might want to monetize your website. However, it seems AdSense is the easiest, but not necessarily the best.
So, that’s how to start a monetary website. Let me hear from you by dropping your comment below.
Canva (featured image – edited)
Animatedimages.org (Animated money image – supra)